Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What made you decide.....?

Again, the question came up. Why now? What made YOU decide to go into ministry at "your age"? Well, first of all, I'm not sure I was the one deciding... But my children are grown, I want peoples' experience of church to be more than obligation. And after three years in seminary, I have more to tell about the grace and love of God than I had before. We get it all mangled up, when it is really so simple. Eternal life is not some future, far off experience after we die, if we are "good' enough. Eternal means - full, meaningful, more than we can imagine - here and now. A future that starts in our relationship to a God who became one of us so he could "get" what human means. A life that "gets" forgiveness, the means of grace, a fresh start each and every day to live fully to become who we truly are.

Honestly? I could see all my past experiences preparing me for the future. Theater, singing, acting, storytelling, serving people who are searching to belong (bartending).. but mostly, my feeling of call was strengthen by others seeing in me what I wasn't sure I was interpreting correctly.

So, bottom line...? I don't really have an answer to that question. Did I lose interest in my current job? No. My job is a great place to be.... It is just not MY PLACE to be.

I cannot explain it. It is a journey I don't fully understand and cannot predict. Praise God! It's LIFE!

No comments:

Post a Comment