Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Internship Begins


September article for Trinity Times newsletter:

Vicar's Corner
         The sign out front, encouraging words, presentation of gifts, and an office with a view – Beautiful signs of welcome and blessing!
         Thank you all so much for your warm welcome on Sunday, August 21st. What a wonderful beginning!  As I familiarize myself to the church and programs, I am also looking forward to getting to know you better over the next few months.
Pastor Phil and Vicar Sharon (that's me)
Installation Sunday
         In my August article, I promised to tell you a bit more about my family. Let me introduce you to my husband, Patrick. Because he works Saturday and Sunday mornings, and we live over 30 minutes away, you won’t see him very much. Pat has an education degree from OSU, and has been involved in teaching and coaching at various levels over the years, from middle school to college students. Currently he teaches algebra as an adjunct faculty at BGSU Firelands in Huron, mostly in the evenings, and a summer course. In addition to teaching, he delivers the Sandusky Register to over 450 customers daily (afternoons during the week and mornings on Saturday and Sunday). If that didn’t keep him busy enough, during the winter months, he is a wrestling official. Without a consistent substitute driver for his motor route, vacations are hard to come by. Our son, Teddy, was able to give Pat a break last summer, and for a few days in August this year, before returning to BGSU, so Pat and I could take a few days away.
         Pat works hard, but he also takes time for hobbies and leisure activities. Shortly after our move back to Norwalk, Pat and his friend designed and developed the disc golf course at Veterans Memorial Lake Park in Norwalk. He enjoys playing that course and has competed in a number of tournaments, taking him as far as Wisconsin and Arizona. He also takes great care of his garden, and makes a mean salsa from the peppers and tomatoes he harvests. My new “experiment” this year is to use the food dehydrator I bought him for Father’s Day to preserve more of that abundant harvest. I am open to any and all advice in this area…
         Most importantly (to me) Pat has been wonderfully supportive of me during this new adventure in pursuing seminary education and eventual ordination. We moved back to Ohio to be closer to family in 1998. I was blessed with finding an employer at that time (Oberlin College) that offered excellent benefits. Letting go of that employment to move into full-time student status for two years is a huge leap of faith, and Pat and I are taking that leap together. My blessings are many: generous and welcoming internship congregation, children who honor us and love God, and a spouse of 31 years whom I can trust with my hopes and dreams. Praise God’s good and gracious presence in the midst of it all! – Vicar Sharon

1 comment:

  1. One important add-on: Pat loves being Pop-Pop to his little Clare Rose, and will no doubt feel the same about the expected Lehman due to arrive at the end of November. Nothing brings out the true nature of man than grandchildren :)

    ReplyDelete